Our Services >> Property Owner
Managing your property
Building issues causing you stress or uncertainty?
Let us help you.
We will use our years of experience working for D & C Contractors, Engineers and Developers for your benefit and take away the pain.
We assist you in understanding and managing your existing building; identifying obligations for all associated stakeholders and assisting the compliance process; improving your buildings performance or upgrading your building; and with claims management in respect of extended liabilities or insurance damage.
Our services offered include:
- Defects – Inspection, testing, reporting, expert witness reports and management of statutory builders liability ( 6 years post PC) and contractor liability claims;
- Damage –Engineers investigation, causation and solution reports and insurance damage and claim reports including scoping, design and management;
- Statutory and Contractual Compliance planning, testing, inspection and reporting;
- Dilapidation Surveys – these identify the current deterioration status of buildings and civil works for future or previous comparison, maintenance, or claims for asset protection purposes;
- Management of damage repairs, defect remediation or modifications including Scoping, Design Management and Coordination, authorities’ approvals and tendering
- Operations and Maintenance – O &M Manual, As Built Drawing and Warrantees reviews; procedural compliance audits or reviews; facilities management systems development, planning and implementation; and claims support and management.
Sort your concerns today!
Claim your free Initial Consultation
Fill the form below
Send us your concern
67 Howe St
Osborne Park WA 6017
Talk with us
1300 88 52 53
Some typical building defects
- Earthworks – Settlement, Erosion and undermining;
- Ineffective Surface Drainage – ponding of water, flooding or moisture ingress or absorption; erosion; siltation resulting in a loss of soil permeability; incomplete drainage systems; systems not installed in accordance with manufacturers requirements; systems not installed at the correct grades or falls; systems lacking capacity or compromised by structures ad services;
- Pavement – exhibiting cracks and settlement; base course and surface failures; ponding water;
- Foundations – Differential settlement, cracking, rising damp or concrete failure; undermining of foundations;
- Landscaping – Retaining wall cracking and deflection; failure of paving and paths; corrosion; rising damp; plastering failures; staining; efflorescence; Irrigation system faults; and excess iron or limestone; membrane failure; ponding; drainage;
- Retaining Walls – instability, deflection, leaking, cracking, expansion, rising damp or surface failure;
- Hydraulic Services – Leaks, blockages, pipe failures, premature system failure, non-compliant installation, poor or non-compliant operations or lack of maintenance;
- Electrical – Non compliant services operation; Incorrectly located services; services lacking capacity due to non-compliance original installation; incomplete testing and commissioning and documentation; compromise due to post commissioning works by others; corrosion; termite attack; power surge failure or component failure;
- Mechanical – Lack of system capacity; variable temperature controls; excess power usage or maintenance costs; corrosion; air pressurisation and ventilation, condensation; mould growth; and defective interface with other services;
- Fire Services – System failures; control errors; unauthorised modifications; defective or damaged controls; false system alarms;
- Underground services – incorrectly located, insufficient capacity, leak or lack effective insulation, or other necessary protection.
Operations and Maintenance
- O & M Manuals, As Built Drawings, manufacturer and contractor warrantees – Lack of documentation at handover or post-handover; erroneous or incomplete documentation resulting in failure to be able to operate and maintain; lack of manufacturers warrantee information resulting in compromise of warranty claims; lack of testing and commissioning records resulting lack of proof of systems compliance ad lack of baseline data;
- Defect Logging and Reporting and Close Out – lack of effective system and record keeping resulting in failure to manage, assess and comprehensively resolve defects;
- Building Accessibility – non compliant and unsafe access for operations and maintenance;
- Landscaping – Retaining wall cracking and deflection; failure of paving and paths; corrosion; rising damp; plastering failures; staining; efflorescence; Irrigation system faults; and excess iron or limestone; membrane failure; ponding; drainage.
- Lack of or poor Operational and Maintenance Instructions for which the Builder, Specialist Subcontractor or Manufacturer may be responsible. This may result in compromises to safe operation and design life, increased operations and maintenance costs and long term liabilities that are often realised after the expiry of the Builders Liability Period.
- Waterproofing to Balconies, showers and water features – Poor Surface Preparation; incorrect membrane selection or application; insufficient membrane thickness; failure to install movement joints; insufficient fall; membrane damage by later trades; and design deficiencies including structural movement, lack of fall and overflow provisions;
- Building Fabric – that is incompatible with building movements including thermal, wind and vibtratory movements;
- Building fabric and or substructure – that is incompatible with design wind pressures in cyclonic regions or in large complex buildings;
- Building fabric – construction that is incompatible with the design or manufacturesrs requirements in respect of substructure, strutting, movement limitations, fixing types, metallic properties, coatings and sizes; compromised waterprrofing or sealing details or surface damage resulting in moisture ingress and corrosion and premature failure;
- Roof Tiles – that leak; are not fixed down or supported; that are incorrectly flashed at services penetrations or at wall abutments, that have incorrectly sized gutters or ineffectively sealed hips or have poor installation tolerances;
- Metal Roofing that is inadequately flashed; missing fixings or support members; leaks, vibrates in wind; displays surface corrosion; displays poor workmanship, suffers from condensation or is visually inconsistent;
- Roof Flashings, Cappings and gutters that – are omitted or undersize; lack support or fixing; are poorly installed; lack overflows; pond water, or are corroded;
- Windows and Doors that leak or vibrate in wind; that don’t operate effectively; that aren’t sealed or lack thermal and acoustic insulation; or are not glazed to Australian Standards;
- Timber Doors and Windows – Poorly sealed doors and windows that swell and jamb or have paint and surfaces that are prone to premature failure; Unsuitable or defective hardware that is prone to failure or corrosion; Unsuitable weather protection resulting in premature failure and leaking;
- Insulation – Acoustic, Thermal and Fire Insulation – that may be incorrectly sized, fixed or installed; may be omitted in concealed zones or compromised due to poor installation, damage by later trades;
- Fire protection Linings that may not be installed to designer or manufacturers’ requirements or may be compromised in concealed zones or damaged by later trades or failure to seal penetrations;
- Plastering Internal and External – that is drummy, cracked, visually inconsistent, friable and degrading or too soft;
- Internal Wall and Ceiling Linings that may have – cracked joints or popped screws or visually unsightly joints; moisture swelling or staining; or sagging linings; lack of expansion jointing;
- External Linings to Canopies and Eaves and Fascias that may have – cracked joints or popped screws or visually unsightly joints; moisture swelling or staining; corrosion; sagging linings; catastrophic failure during a storm due to inadequate restraints;
- Aluminium Windows – Failing powder coating or Anodising; cracked or shattered glass, unrestrained glass, Vibrating Frames or glass; Leaks during rain or wind driven rain; unsuitable hardware selection; lack of periodic cleaning to remove salt or industrial chemical build up;
- Balustrade Systems – defective or incorrect glass installation, loose restraint mechanisms, fixings being tampered with by occupants or loosening under vibratory loading; failure of glass sealant or gaskets; corrosion or defective paint treatment systems;
- Brick Fencing – cracking, foundation failure, expansion failure – lack of expansion jointing, corrosion, storm damage, undermining, soil surcharging, defective installation;
- Metal Fencing, and screens – Excessive height or additional screening resulting in exceedance of fence post ad foundation capacity; Undersize foundations; Lack of Bracing resulting in reduced wind capacity; Corrosion; premature failure coating systems due to damage or inappropriate design selection; use of incorrect fasteners;
- Metal Louvres – Water Penetration due to inappropriate design, lack of rain protection or deficient drainage system; Corrosion due to inappropriate selection of coating system, damage during construction or lack of routine cleaning.
- Slabs – cracking, lack of durability, uncontrolled expansion, rough, unsightly unsafe and friable finish, inadequately level;
- Concrete Structures – exhibiting concrete cancer; visual rust or efflorescence staining; poor surface finishes that prone to premature failure or are unsightly; plastic, thermal or shrinkage cracking; concrete lacking strength or suitable mix design; poorly compacted concrete; cracking resulting from compromise of expansion jointing requirements; poor surface tolerances; lack of reinforcement cover and unsound structural connections.
- Load Bearing Brickwork – vertical or horizontal cracking, rising damp, cavity wall leaks, loose coursing, failing mortar, non-compliant mortar or brickwork jointing and wall tolerances, lack of cavity and expansion ties or wall reinforcement, breach of damp coursing, lack of cavity flashing, lack of weep holes, reinforced brickwork lintel failure;
- Cyclone and Roof Tie Downs that are not installed or effectively connected;
- Wall Construction that has the wrong type or size of members and fixings or is missing members, connections or waterproofing or protective coatings, or has fabric lining that is incorrectly installed, flashed or treated;
- Roof Construction lacking critical support members, bracing, tie downs, structural connections, corrosion protection or dimensional tolerance; Roof Timber Delignification;
- Structural expansion and movement – lack of allowance for expansion and movement;
- Structural Steel Corrosion due to poor condensation controls, inappropriate coating selections or damage during erection;
- Structural Steel – missing members or lack of fixings; deficiently tightened fixings; lack of lock-nuts on members subject to vibratory loads; Poor on site surface treatment of coatings that were subject to site welding or damage; members subject to moisture resulting in corrosion due to other defects;
- AFS or similar preformed concrete filled walls – lack of concrete vibration or poor concrete selection and placement practices resulting in concrete voids and exposure of reinforcement; compromise of external waterproofing systems resulting in exposure of panels to moisture and loss of design life;
Fixtures, Fittings and Finishes
- Kitchen and bathrooms – Surface cracking, swelling and moisture damage; loose tiles; broken or inoperable shower screens including unsuitable or overstressed hardware or poor glass design and installation; failing jointing or waterproofing; ponding floors; mould growth and staining; corrosion damage; rotting timber;
- Paint and Protective Coatings – Defective Preparation, lack of undercoats and Primers, lack of coating thickness, staining, substrate failure, subsurface contamination; exposure to unsuitable conditions ( e.g. Marine), lack of periodic cleaning; lack of maintenance;
- Glazing to Windows, Balustrades and bathroom screens – Glass Etching from salt or chemical contaminants and or a lack of cleaning; non-compliant glass selection; deficient frame or structural support; breakdown of silicon or glazing gaskets; poor blocking and movement isolation practice; failure to use self-locking nuts;
- Floor Finishes – Stone, Tiling, Timber, Vinyl, Carpet, Parquetry, Paint and Epoxy – Substrate failure, lack of surface preparation, excess substrate moisture, unsuitable substrate; failure of finish seal coatings; underfloor movement, expansion or contraction; lack of expansion capacity; non-compliant installation; poor surface tolerances; poor workmanship; product failure; post completion damage; poor product selection;
- Corrosion including to Steel, Aluminium, Copper and Stainless Steel and Dissimilar Metals.
- Painting and Coating Systems – Peeling, delaminating, premature failure, blemishes, substrate failure; Lack of Expansion Jointing;